Saturday, May 31, 2008

Supositions: Continued ii

If you went to the police station and approached the desk clerk and said "I'd like to speak to Fletcher Gerald or a member of his team" the officer on duty would have probably stared at you blankly and said "Who?" It was true. Even though he was one of the oldest officers still on active duty, and he was favored by the Captain and quite a few big muckety-mucks at City Hall, he was virtually unknown by those who didn't get out in the field. And then not many of those field officers could have told you his name. He was a living urban legend: his name sounded vaguely familiar but was soon forgotten by more urgent things. Of course there were a few detectives who remebered that his existance was fact and who were brave enough to take the long trek to the basement whenever they were faced with a particularly challenging case. But not many were that willing to admit such a weakness.

He never entered through the front door. Always the secondary fire access located at the back of the basement parking garage. Down the long, empty, sterile, white hall to the door marked Records Review Annex. He was never called up to the chief's office. Joan always came to him.

Whenever a media camera would appear at a scene, when there was a scene, he would turn and walk away. He was never at a press conference. And the brass had long given up trying to make him, or his team, give any statements. "It's none of their business," he had mumbled the last time when Joan had pleaded for "something, anything! Just wave at them once in a while, Fletch. Fine. If you won't do it, then Calvin will. They'll eat him up!" "Exactly," he had mumbled. "I need Calvin here. On this planet." "I could order him." Joan had declared without any heart. That caused the old man to look up, a knowing smile furtively perched on the corners of his mouth, high humor for him.

And his "team"? It didn't exist. At least not officially. He was the only member of the group that was even on the city's payroll. His position, as recorded on the duty roster, was: Gerald, Fletcher; records clerk. The other three were funded by a blind trust managed by an anonymous oversight committee. There was no "Cold, Unsolved, and Bizarre Cases Task Force" on the books. He liked it that way, though he would never boast about it. Anonymity. Relative independence. Minimal outside control. Freedom to follow the leads wherever they ran, no matter the door they disappeared under.
Fletcher sat at his desk, hunched over the papers that covered the sagging, formica particleboard top. Every wall of the small room was lined with gray, three drawer filing cabinets, slightly more rusty than would have been expected of a government run facility.

He looked like a vulture that had given up hope of ever finding another carcass to harass. His hat sat brim down at the top of the desk, facing him, where he could see it out of his peripheral vision. It was so nice of Cindy to send it to him.
His cheap plastic swivel chair creaked as he leaned back without reclining, elbows tucked to his sides, hands folded in his lap. The lights from Felicity's desk caught his eyes and he focused, briefly, on the fashion models that marched up and down the runway that was her computer screen. Her desk was spotless and bare, except for the stapler and tape dispenser that stood guarding the base of the plasma screen monitor. His eyes flicked sideways, unconsciously, to Isabele's desk, a mountain of papers and binders and post-it notes, ominously threatening avalanche. A puppy lay curled in the corner of her monitor's screen, occasionally stretching himself before wobbling to a different corner, turning three circles and laying back down with an enormous caricature of a yawn.

He smiled at that. He always smiled at that. But he never knew it.

Just beyond the two desks, closest to the door, was a chair, much like a dentist's chair, only streamlined, and lacking that knuckled swivel light that either blinded or brained you alternately. It was a clever contraption, Fletcher thought to himself. He thought that every time he looked at it. But he didn't know it.
It was Calvin's office. At least that is what the kid jokingly called it. "Everything a nerd could need, at the touch of a sensor" he had informed everyone that first day, as he sat down and demonstrated by pressing his left thumb over a receptor in the left armrest. A panel had instantly opened on that side of the chair and a pencil thick hydraulic arm extended out, bending at four all-way servos over his lap, presenting a touchpad keyboard that looked like it had been molded over the top of a basketball. With a stroke of his finger on the keyboard a digital holo-monitor had appeared before him.

Fletcher wished that he had just a fraction of the kids talent and genius. He always thought that, when he thought of Calvin Harper. He always knew it too.

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

you updated. sweet. thank God for Google Reader.

I had sort of an idea that at the end of this story the whole team is thrust into the limelight, and they love it (even Isabele) but, Fletcher still walks away... the legend continues...

Incomplete said...

I kinda like that actually, we'll have to see when we get there.

To tell the truth, for the last couple of months I was thinking about closing this blog down. I was really disappointed how it failed so miserably, as an experiment. By the third installment all I got was "I'll have to think about it and get back later" and of course, later never happened. I guess I make a lousy scientist. But that's what happens when you love story telling.

I have two scenes in my head that I want to get down and I was thinking about getting to them and then just shutting it down, or just leaving it hanging, or maybe having the team get blown up or something . . . just to see if anyone would even notice.

But then I started working on it Saturday night/Sunday morning and realized that I wasn't ready to take my child off of life support. Not just yet. So, just lurk. It's all good with me.

Rebecca said...

I'm sorry more people don't follow along. Really.

Although, if you did stick with updating weekly that would probably help.

I'm sorry I didn't have any ideas last time. What's a girl to do!?! I didn't have any ideas!

ok, so get those scenes that you have in your head down and I'll read them and see if I get any more ideas from there... 'k?

You know I love this idea....

Incomplete said...

I didn't stop posting until AFTER people stopped contributing. But now that I've gotten over all of that it should be fairly frequent

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

You'll have to let me know if you can spot them. heh heh heh

I know you do. It helps to hear it though. Thanks.

"Co-Authored By . . ."

Rebecca said...

*ahem* all I said was that if you posted more REGULARLY which you were not doing, even when people were contributing... you might have a better following.

but, let's not start another debate on another one of your blogs.

I like that 'co-authored by' :)


are we going to add some romance????? :)

Incomplete said...

Whazamatta? You got a loogy in your throat? Who's debating? You have to get to open dialogue before you can get to debate and as that never happened over yonder, which I have not forgotten about (more to follow there - forwarned is forarmed). But I wasn't debating

But no, this didn't fail because I didn't update. We talked about that in an Email. Don't you remember? People don't want to think. They just want to read and enjoy. And there's nothin' wrong with that.

I thought you might.

Romance?! Wha-at?! I have kinda gotten onto this no-traditional story kick. Like Constantine, which I know that you have not seen. I thought about bringing it up on AAR, but I know that it would create too much of an up-roar. As a movie, it's awesome. As a story, is awful: God and the Devil being equal and all and the world is just their experiment. But I only say that to say that Rachel Weisz, who is in my Top 3 Actresses List, and Keanu Reeves, who is not, are in it. And there is NO romance, and it really works. Kinda fresh. There are a couple of scenes where, because of Hollywoods successful indoctrination, you exepect romance to happen. But it doesn't, and it's not at all dissapointing. Kinda like Roman Holiday, where the ultimate ending is left up to you.

You know the standard story: enter hero, enter heroine, inevitably they fall in love, the end.

Now, don't get me wrong I have absolutely no problem with that standard format. It's tradition. It satisfies the vicarious needs of the masses.

But the fresh stories that demonstrate that men and women can go through conflict without falling into romantic love are pretty cool also. More realistic; and if you have inexperianced readers (singles; teanagers; people who have never been head-over-heals over anyone, just the notion of being head-over-heals for someone) it lets them know that life is not ALL about romance. Infact, it is vary RARELY about romance.

But ultimately as far as SpentCasings goes, it's up to the contributers. I guess that means you. :D Or if you don't, then me. We'll just have to see. Like I said, I'm not planning on ending this any time soon.

Rebecca said...

there you go... getting all soap boxy again....

good grief. I was TEASING about the romance!! it was a joke!

you know I'm all about the non-traditional story formats...

you thought I might what??

I don't remember that e-mail but I'm sure it happened.

and you know, you should be able to say whatever you want on your blog. That's what it's there for. Now, if you want to avoid controversy, or if you feel that something you would like to say shouldn't be read by some of your readers... then you should get an LJ. NO, jk... then you should use discretion...

Incomplete said...

I am so glad that your soap box is taller then mine. It keeps me from having to look down at you. Now we can discuss topics on an even eye level!HAhahahahahaha!

Rebecca said...

oh, you are so funny. I may laugh later.

Mac said...

nice addition. I like the character development! I was wanting to get to know Fletcher more.
Although I have a question about Calvin's character. I know that he's supposed to be smart, but seriously I think he's coming across as next door to perfect or a least unreal. Before this he seemed like a real He-Man, good with people, nice looking, level headed with a good perspective, knows about guns etc. a police man and detective. Now he's also the brilliant nerd. Anyone who's that brilliant usually has difficulty getting along with and understanding "normal" people. It just doesn't seem real. He's like two characters in one.
Anyway just a thought I had :)

Mac said...

I commented Ty, did you notice? I COMMENTED!!!!

Incomplete said...

Hi Shorty! Thanks for letting Jak and i know that we're not alone on this desert isle! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Keep letting us know you're out there, even if it's just a *bump*

And the input will be listened to very carefully. The last thing we want to do is create un-realistic characters. But, In Calvin's defense, he WAS homeschooled, and as we both know, homeschoolers are always more awesome!

Rebecca said...

Hahaha!!!

so, Fletcher is DCS Foyle
and...

Calvin is DaveWick...

i see...

Mac said...

AND Felicity is....Jak?



:P